I was taught how to make chai by an Indian guru at Millbrook, Timothy Leary’s country house in upstate New York, in 1968.
CHAI A LA TIMOTHY LEARY
- Pour milk (how much depends on how many people you’re making it for) into a small pot or saucepan. Place on low heat.
- Add about a handful of loose black tea.
- Add any combination (depends on what’s in the house) of ginger, cinnamon (a cinnamon stick is best, but whatever you have), nutmeg, whole cloves.
- Keep stirring! Don’t let it boil! Taste perodically until it seems spicy enough. Then add honey to taste and stir some more.
- Strain into cups, take a sip, and say, “Om!”