In every industry, contracts can be a very tricky thing. With comic books, you want to be exceptionally careful as this is your creative work you’re putting out there in the world. Knowing what your rights are when it comes to getting published is extremely important, so let’s talk about resources that can help you get savvy with contracts.
Katie Lane is an attorney that works with a lot of folks in the comic book industry. Her knowledge of contracts for creators is beyond fantastic and I recommend her web site as a major resource for anyone wanting to learn more (she offers her insight on other topics as well). In addition to her blog, she offers free e-courses that anyone can sign up for. Work Made For Hire is an essential resource for all creators.
- The Pocket Lawyer for Comic Book Creators by Thomas A. Crowell
- Your Lives Will be a Lot Simpler If Some of You Would Just Listen To Me Right Now by Colleen Doran
- Basic List of What Your Creator-Owned Contract Should Have by Atla Hrafney
- Pitching Your Comic Book: Pitch Outline Template (UPDATED) - January 17, 2023
- Networking and Building Genuine Connections - March 21, 2022
- Creator 2 Creator: An Interview with Lilah Sturges - June 29, 2021