Today’s recipe comes from cartoonist, Anoosha Syed:
After I moved out and had to fend for myself, my mom started to send me voicemails of her going over some of her favourite recipes.
This is butter chicken (murgh makhani), easy-breezy to make in 15 minutes, healthy and filling and cosy and perfect for busy crunch days.
- One chicken breast
- Red chilli powder (1/8 tsp,)
- 1/2 tsp Ginger garlic paste (usually found in grocery stores in a jar, otherwise substitute with actual chopped ginger + garlic)
- 1/8 Turmeric powder
- 3/4 cup Crushed Tomato
- 2 tbsp Table cream
- 2-3 tbsp cooking oil
- 1tsp Butter
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
Dice the chicken breast and marinate with the red chilli powder, ginger garlic paste, and turmeric and 1/2 tsp salt. Let that sit for 15 mins (or 2 mins if you’re on serious crunch mode).
Heat up the oil in a deep pan in medium-high heat and cook the chicken until it starts to whiten. Then add the tomato paste and cook until the mixture is bubbling. Add in the cinnamon, another 1/4 tsp of turmeric and a bit more red chilli (if you’d like).
Cook until the oil starts to surfaces, then pour in the cream. If the curry is looking a bit too thick, you can add a bit of water. Add salt if needed, then add the butter and set the stove to low and let the curry simmer for 10mins.
And that’s it! You can eat it with your choice of roti or naan, or my personal favourite, paratha’s! I would get all these pre-made at the grocers (usually in the frozen section, or easily found in most Indian/asian store) but if these are not available you can always have this with rice as well.
Latest posts by Stephanie Cooke (see all)
- Pitching Your Comic Book: Pitch Outline Template (UPDATED) - January 17, 2023
- What To Include In Your Portfolio: A Guide for Comic Creators - December 12, 2022
- Networking and Building Genuine Connections - March 21, 2022