For today’s The Freelancer’s Cookbook, Bryan JL Glass (Furious, Mice Templar) and Judy Glass have shared their recipe for Shepherd’s Pie. As stated within their recipe, it has vegetarian and vegan options available as well!
- 5-6 medium potatoes, scrubbed, peeled, and cut into chunks
- ¼ cup milk, plus more as needed
- 3 tbsp butter
- Salt to taste
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, minced (or 1 tbsp onion powder)
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste (or use Montreal Steak Spice)
- 1 cup frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup frozen corn
- ½ cup chopped celery (or ½ tsp celery seed)
- 5 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- ½ tsp dried thyme
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Place potatoes in large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil, then simmer 15-20 minutes until tender.
Sauté beef in oil with onion, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, until beef is browned. Add frozen vegetables, celery, bacon, tomato paste, and thyme and stir. Simmer while potatoes are simmering, stirring occasionally.
When potatoes are done, mash with milk, butter, and salt. Empty meat mixture into a casserole dish. Spread mashed potatoes over the top, and bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes start to brown.
VEGETARIAN / VEGAN VERSIONS:
Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil first until tender. Substitute 1 cup TVP (textured vegetable protein) for beef, rehydrated with vegetable or “not beef” (vegan) broth, and stir into onions and garlic. Increase Worcestershire sauce to 3 or 4 tbsp. Omit bacon. Mash potatoes using vegetable broth to make it completely vegan.
- Creator 2 Creator: An Interview with Lilah Sturges - June 29, 2021
- Timeline Template for Artists in Comics – UPDATED! - June 7, 2021
- Writing for Comics: Practicing with Short Stories - May 4, 2021